Yes, this cake is literally names wacky, mostly, from what I know, the ingredients. Or lack thereof. This is an incredibly simple recipe that is both egg, nut and milk free, it can be made chocolate or vanilla in a simple switch of ingredients. Delicious moist and great for birthdays with some added icing. As a bonus, every icing with it is yummy. So let’s get the talk over with move on to the good part.
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder (optional if making it vanilla)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 3 tbsp oil (adjust oil for moistness)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350º
- Combine dry ingredients in a maxing bowl and stir to combine
- Mix wet ingredients in a seperate bowl
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until a smooth batter forms. Do not beat.
- Pour into greased and floured pan (8″ square or 9″ round) or 12 cupcakes
- Bake in oven until tests done — about 35 minutes for cake and 20 minutes for cupcakes.
- For cake I usually double the batch and make two round cakes, then using icing place one atop the other, makes more.
- For vanilla, take out the cocoa and double the vanilla
- Here you’ll find where I originally found a recipe and their are more variations along with options for gluten-free. (I changed the amount of oil because it was too moist to an extent where oven-time was incredibly long.
This cake is definitely very filling and delicious. And even better with icing. The cupcakes are just as good of course. Not only that but it can be pretty mess free and good for those who are a bit lazy like me so you don’t have to use a mixer and clean it afterwards. Happy baking!
Until next time,