This is a recipe I found in an effort to do some healthier baking with some still delicious results. I had already wondered in the past how much money we waste on granola bars at stores that are processed to death. Once I first made these, any granola bar from a store was beyond compare in every way. I couldn’t go back. And I also couldn’t stop eating them too. So here it is:
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- 1 cup ground flaxseed
- 1 1/4 cup of peanut butter or Wowbutter (peanut-free version I use)
- 3/4 cup honey
- 3/4 cup dried blueberries (or cranberries)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chip (I use mini ones)
- Put all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Mix together by hand or with a spatula until well combined
- Prepare a pan (of any size I don’t really use on that it all fits in) with parchment paper or tinfoil
- Drop in granola mixture and flatten out, try to keep it in a square it will make cutting easier
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour
- Cut into bars and wrap individually with plastic wrap.
- Store in fridge.
- This recipe is fairly simple and quick, don’t worry too much when putting it in the pan, I just try and spread it as evenly as possible.
- The amount of bars you end up with depends on how big you cut them
- I get most of my ingredients from Bulk Barn.
So this recipe works well for allergies as well, I make it using wowbutter/soybutter which tastes just the same. Any of my friends who eat it can’t tell the difference. For those who like nuts, you could add in 1/2 cup of sliced almonds, that was on the original version of this recipe I found. I always love these since they’re no bake and really healthy.
Good luck and happy baking,